The deal represents the latest healthcare transaction for SC&H Capital’s investment banking and advisory practice.
SC&H Capital announced today that it successfully advised Shin Nippon Biomedical Laboratories, Ltd. of Tokyo, Japan (SNBL), on the sale of a majority ownership stake in its subsidiary SNBL Clinical Pharmacology Center, Inc. (SNBL CPC) to Beijing based Pharmaron, a fully integrated contract research organization (CRO) offering R&D services to the life sciences industry.
The transaction closed March 10, 2017. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.
“This was a complex transaction involving two large international companies in the rapidly changing life sciences market,” said Kevin O’Sullivan, Principal at SC&H Capital. “This transaction again demonstrates our ability to think creatively, strategically, and take on complicated transactions in the dynamic healthcare industry” said Christopher Helmrath, Managing Director at SC&H Capital.
SNBL CPC is a full service CRO located on the campus of the University of Maryland BioPark that opened in 2005. Contract research organizations, or CROs, are crucial to bringing new drugs to market. They work closely with drug manufacturers, help them navigate complex federal regulations, and carrying out intricate tests on their drugs in an effort to bring them to market. Since it opened, SNBL CPC has completed more than 200 studies, including many clinical studies that were submitted in support of global regulatory filings for the approval of various drugs.
Pharmaron is a private research and development services provider in the life sciences industry. It has more than 4,000 employees worldwide and operates in China, the United States, and the United Kingdom.
Teneo Capital served as financial advisor to Pharmaron; O’Melveny & Myers LLP served as Pharmaron’s legal advisor. Miles & Stockbridge P.C. served as legal advisor to SNBL.
In addition to SNBL CPC, SC&H Capital has advised a growing number of health-related companies as its investment banking practice grows rapidly. Recent transactions include:
- Representing Carroll Hospital Center in executing a definitive affiliation agreement with LifeBridge Health, a nonprofit healthcare organization that operates medical institutions in the Baltimore region.
- Advising Louisiana State University’s Health Sciences Center at Shreveport, which entered into a public-private partnership with the Biomedical Research Foundation of Northwest Louisiana.
- Serving as financial advisor to Southern Maryland Hospital in its acquisition by MedStar Health, a not-for-profit regional health system.
- Serving as exclusive sell side advisor to the shareholders of Krueger-Gilbert Health Physics Inc. in its acquisition by investment firm Seneca Creek Partners.
- Assisting Beverly Hills, Calif.-based Capricor Theraputics Inc. (Nasdaq:CAPR), raise three rounds of financing.
- Serving as exclusive sell side advisor to the shareholders of Blue Jay Consulting, Inc. on its acquisition by Royal Phillips.
About SC&H Capital
SC&H Capital, an affiliate of SC&H Group, is an investment banking and advisory firm providing merger and acquisition (M&A), employee stock ownership plan (ESOP), capital raising, and business valuation solutions to middle market and growth companies nationwide. SC&H Capital delivers investment banking and advisory services across numerous industries including technology, healthcare, manufacturing, and government contracting to help owners achieve their exit planning goals and liquidity objectives. To learn more visit https://www.schgroup.com/services/investment-banking-advisory.