Spring 2015 Not-for-Profit Summit Recap
June 2, 2015
SC&H Group and SunTrust hosted their semi-annual Not-for-Profit Summit outside of Baltimore, MD. This event brought together industry leaders to discuss the current issues facing not-for-profit organizations – and revealed best practices that can help address these various economic, organizational, and strategic challenges.
Session recordings and speaker presentations from this event are included below.
If you were unable to attend our event in May, but are interested in receiving information on the latest newsworthy topics impacting nonprofits, click here to subscribe to our SC&H Group Not-For-Profit Perspectives newsletter.
Presented by Fred Walls, SunTrust
In the keynote address, Fred discussed:
- The overall state of the economy
- Why current market conditions are both unique and challenging
- What conditions could mean for growth, interest rates, and the investing markets over the coming year
Listen to Fred’s presentation below.
Corporate Sponsorships: Creating Mutually Beneficial Partnerships
Presented by Shiree Skinner, Principal Consultant, Details Strategic Advisors
In this session, Shiree provided insights on:
- Different types of sponsorships
- Trends in corporate philanthropy that may affect partnerships
- How nonprofits can provide benefits that companies will value
Listen to Shiree’s presentation below.
Protecting Tomorrow: Cyber Security for Not-for-Profit Organizations
Presented by Scott Lawler, Chairman/CEO, LP3
In this session, Scott discussed hot topics specific to nonprofits, such as:
- Maintaining your non-profit funding and public reputation while facing cyber attacks
- Managing cyber security business risks
- Implementing cyber security protection
Listen to Scott’s presentation below.
Breakout Session #1: Sound Governance Practices
Presented by Joe Freiburger, SC&H Group
In this session, Joe discussed:
- Roles and responsibilities of the Board
- Standard governance documents
- Operating structure
Listen to Joe’s presentation below.
Breakout Session #2: Financial Strategies in a Rising Rate Environment
Presented by Steve Wagman, SunTrust Bank
In this session, Steve reviewed:
- The current rate environment
- Hedging tools in the toolkit
- A case study that discusses application of these tools
Breakout Session #3: Changes in the Payment Landscape
Presented by Chris Arrington, Technical Product Consultant, SunTrust Bank
In this session, Chris reviewed:
- Changes in the payment landscape as individuals and organizations migrate from checks to electronic payments
- Best practices and services to help your organization’s receipts process
Listen to Chris’ presentation below.
Breakout Session #4: Accounting and Tax Update
Presented by Paul Shifrin and Lori Burghauser, SC&H Group
In this session, Paul and Lori discussed:
- Current changes to revenue recognition
- Proposed changes to the Not-for-Profit model for financial statement presentation
- The latest tax pronouncements impacting non-profit organizations
Listen to Paul and Lori’s presentation below.
Not-for-Profit Strategic Planning
Presented by Ann Quinn, Quinn Strategy Group
In this session, Ann reviewed how to:
• Develop a comprehensive strategic plan
• Understand the steps for successful execution of a plan
• Set metrics that instill organizational accountability
Listen to Ann’s presentation below.