Fall 2016 Not-for-Profit Summit Recap
January 13, 2017
SC&H Group and SunTrust recently hosted their semi-annual Not-for-Profit Summit in Washington D.C.
This event brought together industry leaders to discuss the current issues facing not-for-profit organizations – and revealed best practices that can help address these various economic, organizational, and strategic challenges.
Session recordings and speaker presentations from this event are included below.
If you were unable to attend our October 2016 event, but are interested in receiving information on the latest newsworthy topics impacting nonprofits, click here to subscribe to our SC&H Group Not-For-Profit Perspectives newsletter.
Economic Review and Market Outlook
Presented by Fred Walls and Colleen Doremus, SunTrust
In this keynote address, Fred and Colleen reviewed:
- The overall state of the economy
- Why current market conditions are both unique and challenging
- What conditions could mean for growth, interest rates, and the investing markets over the coming year
The Department of Labor’s New Overtime Rules – What They Mean for Your Business in 2017 and Beyond
Presented by Howard Kurman, Offit Kurman
In this interactive session, Howard discussed:
- The historical context under which the DOL proposed and then enacted its new white collar exemption rules
- The details of the rules and their business impact
- Proactive measures to take to minimize wage/hour liability
Optimize IT Ownership to Reduce Spend and Increase ROI
Presented by Greg Tselikis and Phil Leadore, SC&H Group
In this session, Greg and Phil reviewed:
- Top technology challenges for NFPs
- Key areas of focus, such as data management and communication
- How to identify the right strategic resources
Presented by Paul Shifrin, SC&H Group
In this session, Paul discussed:
- NFP Financial Reporting Project
- Accounting for Leases
- Investment Disclosures
- Debt Issuance Costs
- Revenue Recognition
- FASB Update
Electronic Payment Strategies
Presented by Carl Bergeron and Mike Kelley, SunTrust
In this session, Carl and Mike discussed how to:
- Develop strategies for the electronification of payments
- Understand and attack key sources of fraud
- Limit five primary fraud threats
Click here to download Carl and Mike’s whitepaper on Fraud Awareness Alert.
Click here to download Carl and Mike’s whitepaper on Developing Strategies for the Electronification of Payments.
Click here to download Carl and Mike’s whitepaper on Understanding and Attacking the Key Sources of Fraud.
Not-for-Profit Strategic Planning Workshop
Presented by Diana Ortiz, Indian Creek School, and Christopher Helmrath, SC&H Group
In this session, Diana and Chris reviewed:
- Benchmarking versus competitive research
- Understanding the market
- Nine pillars of a strategic plan
Want to learn more about the topics discussed at the Fall 2016 Summit, or, are you interested in speaking to one of our NFP experts about how the changing market landscape? Contact SC&H Group’s Not-For-Profit team today to develop innovative strategies for the future.